There are times when we need to merge PDF files into a single document or split a PDF document into multiple PDF documents. Whatever may be your need, there are free PDF software out there which you can use to easily merge or split PDF documents. In this post, we shall see the some Best Free PDF Merge and Split Software for your computer, targeting Windows users.
If you are looking for free PDF Merge and Split software for your Windows, Mac or Linux computer, then PDFsam is a good software for PDF merge and split purpose. It is user friendly, and it has all the features you need to merging and splitting PDF file. With PDF Sam you can – merge, split, extract pages, rotate and mix your PDF files all in one single software. It is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Merge multiple PDF files into a single PDF document
- Split a PDF file at given page numbers, at given bookmarks level or in files of a given size
- Extract pages from PDF files
- Rotate PDF files, every page or just the selected pages
- Merge PDF files together taking pages alternatively from one and the other.
How to merge PDF files using PDFsam Basic:
- Start PDFsam Basic software and select the Merge section.
- Just drag and drop two or more PDF documents you want to merge.
- Check and arrange the order of PDF documents by moving up and down in the PDF files list.
- Adjust the available PDF merge and compress settings if necessary.
- Specify the destination location, change the default file name and hit the Run button.
- You will see a ‘Completed’ message when it’s done.
There are other free PDF Merge and Split software but most of them are free on trial basis with limitations on the number of PDF files you can process and some add watermarks in the output PDF. PDFsam is by far the best free PDF Merge and Split we have tried so far and it is our favorite.
PdfMerge is another free and portable PDF merge software for Windows you can try. It is free and available on Sourceforge. With this software, you can merge as well as split PDF files. It is lightweight and easy to use with a simple interface.
How to merge PDF files using PdfMerge:
- Start Pdfmerge software and then click on the Add Files to load PDF files you want to merge.
- Arrange the order of the PDF files by clicking on the up and down arrow buttons on-screen.
- You can also set Page Numbering and Foot Note to PDF file output.
- Next, specify the name and path of the output PDF in the Filename field.
- Finally, click on the Merge/Split button to start the PDF merge process.
Using Pdfmerge you can also split a PDF document into multiple PDF documents.
PDF Merge Tool
If you just want a simple PDF Merge tool, then you can also try the PDF Merge Tool which is simple and easy to use. It is available on the Sourceforge page here.
Multi PDF Merger
Multi PDF Merger is another free PDF merging software which you can try. This software is unique because it can merge different files, documents and images into a single PDF file. It supports merging different document types is supported, such as Microsoft Office, images text files and PDF and PostScript documents.
PDFill Free PDF Editor Basic
PDFill Free PDF Editor Basic is again another free software to merge, split, reorder, delete, encrypt, decrypt, rotate, crop and to add information, header, footer and watermark, to convert images to PDF, PDF to images or PostScript to PDF, to delete, flatten and list form fields, to scan to pdf, to create transparent image, and more.
You can explore or download PDFill free PDF Editor Basic.
Online PDF Merge and Split Tools
If you do not want to download and install PDF merge and splitters, then you may also explore online tools for the same. For this, just open google.com and search for ‘online pdf merge and split tool. You would see multiple online PDF merging and splitting tools. However, most free tools available online are not completely free and are usually limited in one way or the other. There may be restrictions on the number of PDFs you can process each time or there could be watermarks and advertisements.
If you are looking for free PDF Merge and Split tools online, you may try the following.
Free online tool to merge, split, compress and convert (Office to PDF, PDF to JPG, JPG to PDF) PDF files. Thereare some limitations in the free version. For full features, you need to buy Premium plan.
How to convert Microsoft Word to PDF on your Windows computer?
If you want to convert Microsoft Word document to PDF, then you can do so directly from Microsoft Word. Recent Microsoft Office software (2010 , 2013) has the option to save Microsoft Word document to PDF directly. Even on Microsoft Office 2007, you can install ‘Microsoft Office 2007 Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS for Windows‘ to save Microsoft Word document to PDF directly from the save as menu.
- Microsoft Word > File > Save as> Select the location to save > At ‘Save as Type’ dropdown, select PDF > Select Optimization (Optional) > Save.
- Or Microsoft Word > File > Export > Create PDF/XPS document > Click the ‘Create PDF/XPS document’ button > Select Optimization (Optional) > Click Publish button.