Google Chrome is user friendly and it is one of the most widely used web browser. Usually, Google Chrome browser is already included on new Android phones but it may not be set as the default web browser on the phone. Most Android phone manufacturer also includes their own stock web browsers on Android phones, and usually, it is set as the default web browser on the Android Phone. If you wish to to change the default web browser in Android Phone to Google Chrome the follow the steps described in this post below.
Instead of Google Chrome, if you prefer Firefox browser or any other browser for that matter, you can still follow the steps below to change the default web browser in Android Phone.
On Android phone, if you receive a link in a message, the links open in a web browser. Usually, the links would open in the default web browser. And if you don't like to use the current default web browser, you can always change it.
NOTE: Many users may prefer to use Google Chrome since many people are using Gmail and other Google services. It let's us sync search history and bookmarks. So ideally, it is better to use the same browser across multiple devices for seamless experience.
How to change the default web browser in Android Phone to Google Chrome?
Watch this short video demo – How to change the default web browser to Google Chrome on Android Phone.
Option #1 : Settings default browser for the first time:
When you get a new Android phone or if there is no default browser set yer, then when you open links, you may get a prompt to select browsers to open the link. There would also be “Remember my choice” option. Check “Remember my choice” and then tap on the browser of your choice to open the link.
Then each time you open a link, the selected browser will be used to open links
Option #2 : Change the default browser in Android Phone from Android Phone settings
Another way to change the default browser in Android Phone is from the Android phone settings. If you don't like to use the existing default web browser, you can change the default web browser from the Android phone settings.
Here are the general steps to set Google Chrome as the default browser on Android Phone. The steps may vary depending on the phone make and model, but generally it may be similar.
- Go to Android Phone Settings > Applications > Manage applications
- Search / Find the browser which is currently the default browser
- Tap on that browser and click on “Clear defaults”
This will clear the default settings from the browser, and the browser will not longer be the default web browser.
Now, to set another browser as the default web browser (Say Google Chrome):
- Open some link from some apps like messaging app.
- When you get the popup to choose a browser, check “Remember my choice” and then choose the preferred browser (Say Google Chrome) to open the link.
This will set the selected browser as the default browser. From next time, links will always open using the preferred browser selected.
How to change the default web browser in Mi Redmi Android Phone?
To change default web browser to Google Chrome on Mi Redmi Android Phones, do the following:
- Open settings and go to installed apps
- Look for ‘browser' or search for ‘browser'
- Tap ‘browser' (the Mi browser)
- Scroll down and tap on “Clear Defaults”
- Then open a link available in some app such a “SMS”
- When the popup is displayed, choose Google Chrome
- Select “Remember my choice” – to set default browser as Google Chrome.
- Otherwise, to get the popup each time, do not check “Remember my choice”
Option #3 : On some Android devices, follow the steps below to set Google Chrome as the default web browser-
- Open your device's Settings app.
- Scroll down and select Google.
- Select Google Settings > Tap Apps.
- Open your default apps
- In the top-right, tap Settings
- Under ‘Default', tap Browser app.
- Tap Advanced > Default apps > Browser app.
- Tap Chrome Chrome.
The above settings location may vary depending on your device.
# set chrome as default browser xiaomi
# set chrome as default browser android
# how to change default browser android
# how to change default browser in redmi
# how to make google default browser