There are time when you may need to connect your Android phone to the computer for file transfer or to manage your phone from the computer. We can easily do this with the help of USB cable or if you are using some phone manager apps on your computer. If not, then you can also easily connect your Android phone to the computer without USB cable using some apps which support ‘Connect to computer'. In this post, we shall see How to connect your Android phone to computer for file transfer without USB cable.
In this example I am going to use Mi Drop or Mi Share app to connect the Android Phone to the computer. Some file managers on Android Phone including the default file browsers may also support this feature. So you can first explore whether the default file manager allows ‘Connect to computer' option or not. If not, you can download and install Mi Share or similar apps on the Android Phone first.
What you need to connect your Android phone to computer for file transfer without USB cable using Mi Share App or similar apps
1) Both the phone and the computer should be connected to the same WiFi network.
Watch this short video tutorial / demo regarding How to connect your Android phone to computer for file transfer without USB cable. If not, skip the video and read on.
How to connect your Android phone to computer for file transfer without USB cable
- Ensure the phone and the computer are both connected to the same WiFi network.
- Start Mi Share App on the Android Phone.
- Go to Menu and select ‘Connect to computer'
- Tap on START to start the FTP service on the phone
- Select PORTABLE or PASSWORD PROTECTED
- Select the storage you want to access from the computer – internal or SD CARD
- Note the FTP address displayed
- On the computer, open File Manager (Windows Explorer on Windows)
- Type the FTP address displayed in the app on the phone in the Windows Explorer address bar and hit ENTER
- You should now be able to browse the phone's storage right from the Windows Explorer window
- From here you can copy file from the phone to the computer or from the computer to the phone
- You can also create new folders on the phone storage right from the Windows Explorer
After you are done with your work, open the app on the phone and tap on STOP to stop the FTP service.
While there are various ways to send file from phone to computer, it is more convenient to directly browse the phone's storage and copy files. It makes our job a lot more easier and faster.
Other useful Android Apps for connecting Android Phone to Computer:
AirDroid is the a popular app for connecting Android to a PC or Mac. The App lets you transfer files, remote-control Android, and do a lot more such as sharing or a screen mirroring app, etc. It also allows sharing the clipboard between your Android and Windows or macOS.
Your Phone Companion is an app from Microsoft to link Android to Windows 10. It functions mostly like AirDroid, so you get to access almost everything on your smartphone from your Windows PC. You can make and receive calls as well as check and reply to messages (even messaging services) and notifications.
Moreover, you can access your favorite Android apps on your Windows PC, thanks to its support for mirroring your mobile screen, like AirDroid. You can also transfer photos between Android and Windows devices.
Let us know what you use for connecting Android phone to the computer for file sharing.